Friday, October 2, 2009

Rockingham's most famous son --Bucky Covington Returns Home and Has a New Single!

(Photo credit: Jackieblue via Buckymania.blogspot.com)

Ok so I'm a day late and a dollar short.. ummm well, maybe it's more like a week late on writing this blog...and I'm not even going to begin to count the dollars.

About two or so weeks ago, I heard the news that Bucky Covington was going to be going home to Rockingham, NC for a hometown concert and to give back to his community. It was short notice so I was not really sure until the last day if I would be able make arrangements to go. I gave it totally to the Lord and one by one He put all my "ducks in a row" and let me see His hand in it (thank you Lord). Also because of the short notice, a lot of Bucky's original and avid supporters who have been pushing for a hometown concert were unfortunately unable to make it. (FACT)

Side Note:(For those Rockinghamians that may read this blog--and I know that several do--Bucky has truly wanted and tried to return home and give back to his community for the last few years, but potential plans were always thwarted by the powers that be. Don't think for one second that Bucky is not proud to be from Rockingham and not appreciative of how his hometown made his new career possible, because that is farthest from the truth! AND THIS I KNOW!)

Well, Friday afternoon began a ROAD TRIP. For those of you that have favorite artists or favorite vacation spots, you understand the fun of a ROAD TRIP. My friend Lori actually traveled almost 5 hours to get to me and then we traveled another 12 hours together. (Poor Lori had an extremely extra long and excrutiating return home trip, but all-in-all, I think she will say it was worth it.)

I first have to give a shout out to all of my Buckaneer sisters and friends that I saw on this trip. Most of you hold special places in my heart and prayers and it was wonderful to get to see you again. My heart is in the south and my southern sisters are very sweet. (Btw, special shoutout and hugs to SM and PB, KC, DM, TC --I hope they know how precious they are!) (and it's ok that you don't know who because they do, so it's all good). I also want to give a shoutout to Mark Miller of Sawyer Brown--a brother in the Lord--he may never read this, but our convo was the best! and we are in agreement in prayer! (By the way, we also prayed that God would hold the rain back that day and even though it was predicted 70% rain--our Lord came thru because we stood on faith!)

Well, back to the concert -- Bucky was working with a few charities while in town and the concert was also for their benefit -- most everyone brought a food donation--I understand about over a ton of food was collected (is that possible?).

I had a VIP pass (thanx WSOC) so I got to talk to Bucky a bit and got a great spot for the concert. I have to tell you that this was the most wonderful concert I have attended and I have attended more than you can count. Bucky has grown as an artist over the last few years and his live shows are worth the traveling to. (yeah, I know I'm ending my sentence with a preposition). Anyway, this Saturday, Bucky and his band were on fire. It was high energy from the stage as well as from the crowd. There was a mutual feeling of love and appreciation in the air and it was truly apparent. Bucky finally was able to come home.

Bucky pleased the crowd with some familiar and favorite tunes which got the entire crowd singing and bouncing along. (It had to be a little wierd for him to be looking out at a sea of family and friends--both new and old--and be the hometown boy and country star at the same time, but he did it well.)

He also shared some of the new songs on his upcoming Sophomore CD which should be dropping about April. (It will also be around the time that the concert will air as a one-hour special on GAC TV) (If you aren't aware how the music business works, release dates always seem to never happen on the date that first intend to release, there are always delays and push back dates --so we are hoping for April). Mayor Gene gave Bucky a plaque and a new key to the City (he received his first after returning home from American Idol).

Many of you may not know but Bucky has eclectic taste in music which spreads across several genres and one of his favorite groups is Nickeback. So, for Bucky's new single, he chose a Nickelback song "Gotta Be Somebody" and he does it well. Take a listen to his new single "Gotta Be Somebody" HERE and ask your radio station to play it.

Rather than post some pictures from the concert, head on over to BUCKYMANIA and check out the great photos and videos submitted by fans.

I will post however the video from Myfox8 (thanx to Diver for finding it):
 


Disclaimer here.. usually when I mention Bucky Covington...you can apply much of the same sentiments to Rocky--his twin brother (who plays percussion in the Bucky's band). Even though they are definitely different in many ways, they are also similar in many ways including their humility, sense of humor, graciousness, and down-to-earth manner--of course being cuties too, but I don't go there--not my style--but I sure hear it and agree that he is/they are sweethearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the interestingly long blog about Bucky!!! You covered it all, and I loved it!! I too am a Huge Bucky fan, and read everything I can find on him....just love that guy....he is very genuine and real...and southern!!! And quite the looker too! More Bucky please??