Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Clear the Formatting, Remove the Codes, Start with a Clean Slate

Ok so this morning when I was spending some time with the Lord and pondering over the issue of forgiveness, the following scenario came into my head. I understand my train of thought so I hope you can follow me and get my drift LOL

Have you ever used the computer to write a paper, letter, newsletter or any of the such? Well, more often than not, someone in my office will be pulling their hair out because the document being worked on is not obeying the user’s instructions. No matter how hard they try to get the text to do what they want it to do, there is some hidden force working against them (i.e., style setup, formatting code, defaults, etc.) Many choose to get angry and upset or cover up the problem area by some work-around instead of fixing the reason for the problem. The document still has offensive code and carries the potential for corruption.

An easy fix to the problem, which most people do not use, is to clear all formatting--remove all codes--and start with a clean slate. Sometimes it is hard to deal with the issue, but in the end it relieves a lot of stress and frustration.

Well, in life, there are hidden forces working against us to bring us down or destroy us in the end. Every twist and turn brings new issues to deal with and new problems to endure. No matter how hard we try to fight them, sometimes they can be overwhelming. Some of life’s problems are brought about by our choice not to deal with a problem head-on or do a work-around and ignore the real issue. We still carry the issue around with us.

That being said, it is often the case when someone offends us, hurts us, or causes us to get angry. Do we ignore the issue, bury it, and let it fester as we build resentment causing us to push that person away, and carry with us the “baggage” that has accumulated.

God has given us an easy fix(because of his grace and mercy and His free gift of salvation to us), but many choose not to use it. God has chosen to forgive us for our behavior and has given us a clean slate. He asks, in turn, that we forgive others for their transgressions against us. Are we really so puffed-up that we think we have not done things to hurt someone else? Are we perfect (I think not--though some people think they are). Do we want to be forgiven when we mess up? (I know I do, and I know I mess up). Why is it that people cannot forgive others easily? I guess it’s because we are human, so we struggle with it and we want to punish the person who has transgressed against us.

If we build up anger and resentment, or hold a grudge, it really doesn’t hurt the person it is aimed at (they may never even know it exists) as much as it hurts us. I truly believe that unforgiveness is the cause of many illnesses--physical and emotional. If we follow God’s outline--search our hearts--and actually forgive others, it truly lifts a burden off our shoulders and that release can give a tremendous peace. (I have personally experienced this in a life changing way.)

When God forgives us, He doesn’t cover up our offensive code. He clears the formatting and gives us a fresh start. We ourselves then should not cover up or bury the offensive code (issue) when someone has transgressed against us. We should clear the formatting and start over. In the end, it relieves a lot of stress and frustration and the potential for corruption (our own demise--physical, emotional, spiritual.)

(little footnote here -- forgiving someone does not mean that you have to again subject yourself to their actions. If you chose not to be in a situation, you can still forgive them for their transgression and move on -- fly like a bird, soar like an eagle).

Anyway, does anyone follow my train of thought?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I followed your train and thought it was excellently put. I also can agree with you. ON BOTH the physical and spiritual experiences. I hate when my Word Doc what you said, however I never knew about clearing the formatting and don't even know where that little option is.
I have walked in the forgiveness of others and forgiven others, so I am cook on that end. ( Thank God!!) However... it leads me to this...

Perhaps people need to be shown where the Forgiveness Option is... They just don't know. But I think you helped to show them.

Janna said...

Interesting... this really made me stop and think.. thanks. needed that!