Sunday, November 30, 2008

Jason Castro - Opening of Flytrap Music Hall - Tulsa



(photo credit Andrew Shepherd)

Last night I had the opportunity to attend Jason Castro's concert for the opening of Tulsa's new music venue "Flytrap Music Hall". I sat stage left and the view from my seat was perfect (well except for the occasional interference). Actually, my seat was located in front of my computer at home and it was very comfortable -- isn't the internet great?!

The live webcast was broadcast by Flytrap Music Hall and run by a young woman named Bella. (who by default became as she admits " a super fan" after her experience last night). Jason's Dreadhead fan club and Rickey.org also broadcast the audio version of the concert with several guest callers. A party ensued at each site (I was checking out all three).

Jason, who captured the hearts of millions of fans while on American Idol, was met with a venue of screaming fans. He was relaxed, joking with the audience, and appreciative that everyone came out to see him. Jason's stage presence and vocal range has even gotten better--my reception was pretty good so I had experienced an awesome show). A friend of mine who was also viewing commented that her connection was a little muffled at times, but she didn't care because Jason "is still dreamy").

Jason played guitar and was accompanied by a band which was a nice addition behind his beautiful voice. His set consisted of new songs (possibly to be included on his upcoming CD) and a few Jason sang on American Idol which had been requested by fans. Jason's delivery is always heartfelt so you can imagine the response from the audience. The set list below is from my own notes and the new songs may not have the correct titles since the titles weren't announced:

--Someday (well known to Jason fans as his hopeful love song --btw, he got the girl :)
--Love Uncompromised (NEW - His sister gave us the title of this song and it has a great hook -- "Kiss me with your heart, touch me with your eyes, love me with your soul, I will never compromise")
--Hallelujah (full version)
--Sweet Medicine (NEW)
--It's Alright with Me (NEW - that's the hook, so possibly the name, but not sure)
--So Fast (Song he wrote about the loss of a friend)
--I Don't Want to Leave Tonight (not the title, but the hook)
--Daydream
--Shine Your Light (NEW)
--Over the Rainbow

Jason shared some personal face time and gave individual greetings to a number of viewing fans on the webcast after the show. At the repeated requests of the viewers, his family also interacted with the fans. Jason's sister and brother as well as his parents are loved by his fans as well. All the garbage you hear on the internet written by those with negative hearts is just that -- garbage. This family is a "functional", loving, caring, and generous family. They are truly radiate a loving spirit and they care about people. It is a blessing to see that people and families of this calibur still exist.

Reading between the lines, and I am good at that, I believe that Jason is going to handle his career -- his way and God's way -- not the industry's way. He will be wise at the industry choices he makes in order not to compromise his values -- and that is one thing that makes him special (he will not sell his soul for the almighty dollar -- and I am not saying that everyone does -- I am saying that I believe he will make wise and prayerful decisions).

Well, I will be attending Jason's next concert and I can't wait to share the experience on my return. WHOOP!

Well, I've got to run ... catch ya later!
God bless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing you impressions! I recently discovered Jason Castro on the web, including all the videos from his AI performances and those from his post-idol concerts (seems that I becoming a superfan as well...) "Love Uncompromised" is such a beautiful song, my favorite among his new songs.. and I love his "Over the rainbow" and "Hallelujah" versions.. I really hope that he will be able to release an album.

Greetings from Germany,

Barbara