Thursday, December 4, 2008

Interpretation / Meaning of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" (recently sung by Jason Castro)

A number of people have been discussing the meaning of the Leonard Cohen song “Hallelujah” (sung by Jason Castro on AI)(and previously sung by Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainright) and several have asked me what I think this song means.

Someone recently said that this song was not a worship song, but I believe they are very wrong.

According to the Miriam-Webster Dictionary, the word “Hallelujah” is defined as being used to give praise, joy, or thanks. It is derived from the Hebrew word hallĕlūyāh which means “praise (ye) the Lord". So, in essence, the word Hallelujah is praising God.

Interpretation as beauty, is always in the “eyes of the beholder.” Some say Leonard Cohen lyrics often contain sexual innuendo. That being said, if you've read the Bible, you will hear Biblical symbolism throughout this song as it tells the story of King David and Bathsheba (and throws in a little bit of Samson details too).

King David had a special relationship with God. He spent much of time praising God with his instruments and song. Even though David’s heart yearned to please the Lord, he was still human and he succumbed to sexual temptation. This displeased the Lord.

The Book of Second Samuels in the Old Testament shows us that as humans we are imperfect -- our spirit is willing to please God but our flesh is weak. Yet, if our heart is right, and we repent [I didn’t say “say sorry”, I said “repent”), will be merciful and forgive us. (made possible by God's grace and gift of salvation throught Christ. David was pre-Christ, but instead of getting into a whole Bible study here, David still needed Christ's sacrifice on the cross to be totally right with God.)

David’s heart joyfully sung to his Lord the Hallelujah with gusto, but after his sinful relationship with Bathsheba (whom he initally saw bathing on the roof), he was no longer whole and no longer enjoyed the favor of the Lord--his relationship with God was no longer the same. I believe the “broken Hallelujah” was sung when a broken and repentant David sang Hallelujah before his Lord.

Who knows what inspired Leonard Cohen when he wrote this song, but as the Bible says “the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.” The spirit gives this song life and "those that have ears hear" and are blessed -- it is a song of praising God for his grace, mercy and forgiveness.

So, I say, Hallelujah! Praise ye the Lord!
and as the song says:
"And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my
tongue but Hallelujah "

Leonard Cohen Hallelujah Lyrics:

I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it
pleased the Lord
But you don't really care
for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah (chorus)

Your faith was strong but
you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the
moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and
she cut your hair
And from your lips she
drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah (chorus)

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really,
what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah (chorus)

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I
didn't come here to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my
tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah (chorus)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi CathyAnne

That was a great article on the Hallelujah song and Jason Castro.

I found it very interesting and inspiring.

Love that Jason Castro. He's a divine talent.

Gloria

Connie said...

Cathy, Thanks for that insightful blog! I agree that Cohen wrote the song to be spiritual. And for me, there's no doubt that when Jason Castro sings it, it is spiritual!

Anonymous said...

Cathy, Thanks for the insightful blog on Hallelujah. I agree that Cohen wrote it to be a spiritual song. And for me, there's no doubt that when Jason Castro is singing it, it is spiritual!