Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cell Phones and Telemarketers -- Do Not Call Registry

Today, I received emails regarding the Cell Phone numbers going public enabling telemarketers to call your cell phone number. The emails also urged registry with the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY.

I have been guilty of forwarding emails myself at times without doing a complete investigation on the subject matter. My kids and my sister are the first to take me to task for doing that very thing. The best site on the internet for doing that investigation is SNOPES. Snopes provides the 411 on those forwarded emails you receive (some of them have been circulating for years).
(I can't tell you how many emails I still receive about Madalyn Murry O'Hare filing a petition against religious broadcasters -- problem is O'Hare died in 1995 -- I didn't have to check Snopes on that one.)

So, rewind to the cell phone issue. I checked Snopes and the forwarded warning of telemarketers being able to call your cell phone is False. The Snopes info is HERE and the info on the Federal Trade Commissions website is HERE.

You can always register your phone or your cell phone on the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY but you must call from the phone that you are registering.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The "official release" of the cell phone numbers may not be real, but it hasn't stopped them from finding them via other means. I can't tell you how many "This is the second notice that your auto warranty is about to expire" call's I've received on my cell phone, even though it is illegal. It's so bad that unless the number is one I recognize or is in my address book, I won't answer it.