Friday, January 2, 2009

POISON -- C.C. Deville and the Holy Spirit

Before I hit the pillow, I wanted to share something that a very informed little birdie told me last night. I was not going to share this because I don't reveal confidences, but I found that I had my head buried in the sand and it was actually posted on the internet, so it is not a confidence.

If anybody remembers the metal bands of the 80's (and many of you do), one band that comes to mind is POISON. It was one of the most popular groups then and still remains so. Metal music probably helped coin the phrase "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" so you know why I am thanking God for the fact that guitarist C.C. Deville of Poison surrendered his life to Christ! I can imagine the resounding sound of the saints still rejoicing in heaven!

The following is a post by Pete Wilson, the pastor of Cross Point Church in Nashville, on his blog at http://www.withoutwax.tv. (Yeah, I know it's from July, but then again I don't really listen to Poison so I wasn't searching for it -- get my drift).

POISON'S C.C. DEVILLE BECOMES A CHRISTIAN:

July 22, 2008

So Wednesday afternoon my friend, Derek Bruner from Cross Point, called me with the weirdest pastoral request I've ever gotten. He asked me if I would be willing to come down and go backstage at the Poison concert to meet with C.C. DeVille (their lead guitarist). Apparently C.C. has just become a Christian and was wondering if I would be willing to bring him some messages he could listen to on the road, as well as just encourage him, and answer a few questions.

I figured it wouldn't be a good idea to be hanging out backstage at a Poison concert without taking one of our elders, Brian Alexander. We had an awesome night. While I'm certainly going to keep the bulk of our conversations private, there were a few things I feel comfortable sharing.

This guy has an amazing heart. We spent some time with him pre-concert and before he went to get ready to go on stage he said, "Pete would you watch the show tonight and tell me if you see me do anything that would not be honoring to God." Are you kidding me????

After the concert we had a creative team meeting with him where we suggested a few different ways he could interweave the story of what God is doing in his life through his music. The entire experience was surreal, to say the least.

You can watch the video below to hear C.C. discuss such topics as cussing, elder meetings, accountability and guitar hero. It's almost six minutes long, but you won't be disappointed.

The unofficial pastor to Poison,
Pete

----------------------
Pete Wilson also posted this video of his meeting with C.C. Deville on the road after a concert. Of what I know and have seen of C.C. in the past, I can see his tender heart for the Lord in this clip. WOOOHOOOO! Can I get a WHOOP, WHOOP!?


Guitar Hero from Pete Wilson on Vimeo.

No comments: